Friday, July 18, 2008

Sole Charges

Let me start by being honest and saying I have never liked Gordon Ramsey. I am not a prude, I mean, f**k it, there are times when swearing helps let off steam, but he completely overdoes it. To the level that I think he is disrespectful. It isn't necessary. So, that's clear then. Now let me continue:

"The Independent" is currently running a campaign to improve working conditions for waiters. They are trying to get top chefs to support it. They have a quote from Ramsey. "We add a 12.5 per cent service charge to the final bill.........it was welcomed by the customers as it removes any embarrassment from deciding how much to add." First off, where does 12.5% come from. The "recognised" tip is 10%, always has been. It is the fact that it is 10% that makes it easy to calculate. And then justifying it by saying it removes embarrassment. The gall of the guy. He is implying that his customers are too stupid to think for themselves (which, considering they went to his restaurant, may have some merit I suppose). And adding on a tip automatically is a terrible practice. Most people will be too embarrassed to ask for it to be removed (although, you may not be surprised to learn, I will always insist an automatic service charges to be removed whenever I see them). How does he know his customers welcomed it? I bet a decent survey wouldn't find that, he just means people aren't asking for it to be removed. No, of course not, because he ahs put them in an embarrassing position. Calculating a tip isn't embarrassing. Having to remove it is (unless your are too incensed to care).

Hell, it's enough to make me swear again, f**k it.

No comments: