Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Any Value

Now you may want to call me cynical. But I am not sure how the drop in VAT will work. Ignoring the fact that it lays problems for the future (and that there is a possibility that the government are thinking of later raising it above the current rate), it risks being very ineffectual. I just feel that it is unlikely that the drop will be passed on in the shops. The High Street is already struggling, keeping an extra 2.5% on every sale could be the best opportunity they have of making a bit more money. I expect prices to remain the same.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'll be interested to see what shops do as well. It doesn't actually add up to a huge reduction (I worked it out as roughly 1/47th in my head) so it will make prices look strange. But I can't see shops wanting to be seen as uncompetetive or not passing the cut on.