Saturday, December 13, 2008

Have You Got It?

Words cannot begin to describe how pleased I am that the X Factor is over. While I like the theory of us having a family evening, it is one thing to be watching a film, quite a different one to watch the X Factor. The reality is that I have ended up in the corner working on the computer while the others watch the singing. But at least this year the finalists could sing. The only good one last year was Rhydian. I was rather worried that Eowain (is that how it was spelt) would win, the Irish and Granny vote seemed his for sure. Instead it came through to Alexandra or JLS. Then they sang Hallelujah. And there is no question, JLS should have won. I had goosebumps as they sang. Now, Hallelujah has a special place for me after it played during a scene in West Wing, and anyone who has seen that scene will know why it is so moving. So I am now disapppointed that the JLS version won't be available to buy. Alexandra was good, and I am pleased for her, but the nation got it wrong.

And the original:

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I believe Jeff Buckley's version was a cover of Leonard Cohen's version. My understanding is that his was original. I prefer Buckley's version though.

Merlin said...

Ah, well, I quite like Cohen, so now I have to hunt a bit and see if I can find his version, I cn imagine it being good in his voice.

Merlin said...

O no, I found it, it didn't work. Jeff reigns

1 i z said...

Loads of different LC versions available Merlin, might be worth ploughing on a bit. Interesting if nothing else in the way he developed the lyrics over the years, taking it from one place to somewhere very different.

JB's version is a composite of some of the verses from different points in it's history and in my book remains unsurpassed.

As for my views on the whole X-factor attrocity read here http://reachoutandtouchthescreen.blogspot.com/2008/12/standards.html

1 i z said...

arrrggghhhh rogue apostrophe...you make me hate myself...

Merlin said...

Oh, now I ahve to find rogue apostrophe. And I have never been any good at those. It was a blind spot at school