Thursday, September 17, 2009

Swimming Time

Yesterday I went to see the fish ladder in Pitlochry. This was a lot less exciting than I imagined. I thought that this ladder would be designed to allow the salmon to exhibit normal behaviour, jumping their way up the river. Instead it is a series of square pools interconnected by little tunnels for the fish to swim up. This year there have been 3496 salmon making use of the system, but I didn't see any. I return with netter knowledge as I know how it works but also disappointed.

I also have images of all these salmon meeting up in the oceans. The Alaskan salmon regale the shoal with stories about how they escaped grizzlies, outmanouvred eagles, traveled great waterfalls and generally lived the wild and adventurous life. What are they going to think of the Scottish salmon who then explains how they negotiated the great terrors of the concrete tunnel!

No comments: