Sunday, December 20, 2009

Kate On Tour

I've just got back from seeing Kate Rusby at the Warwick Arts Centre. Absolutely wonderful. She's singing carols, but not those that you'll hear in church, these are ones she has grown up singing in yorkshire pubs. Or so the story goes, and I'd like to believe her.

It was wonderful but also slightly weird. Weird in many ways.

First, it felt weird to all be sitting listening to this fantastic music. I couldn't stop my feet tapping anyway but I wanted to be up dancing. Sittting listening to classical is one thing, but this was demanding movement, and singing along, but we couldn't (well ok maybe I did some singing along).

Second, Kate herself is a bit weird. Weird because in between songs she almost seems like a nervous teenager. She has a makes southern Yorkshire accent. She talks as though you are in her living room. She stands holding her hands together. You could almost believe it was her first time. And then, and then she sings. And this ethereal beautiful voice soars out into the auditorium. And it is just something else. This is not a voice that needs a mixing desk to get it right. This is a pure, breath taking sound from the angels.

Thirdly, concert over. I decide to use the gents before drivng home. I do so and am washing my hands when a voice says something along the lines of "well if it isn't insert-my-name-here". I look up and it is the past president of a work association. Now I must admit I am not good when caught by surprise. Even by friends. I am even worse when the thoughts running through my head are "I can't shake hands necause mine are wet - I didn't shave before coming out - I'm not in my work suit - last time I spoke to him he was trying to get us to sponsor something" etc etc.

All in all a great but slightly surreal night.

No comments: