Monday, April 05, 2010

One, Two, Three

The way I approach work and the way I approach home are markedly, and even surprisingly, different.  When I went for my interview, many years ago, I was asked what my desk at work would look like.  I said it would be covered with papers and things, basing it on what I knew I was like at home.  In reality I have one of the tidiest desks in the office, my email in-box is kept to a minimum (if I have over 5 emails then that's a lot), and I have "to do" lists to work from.  I know there is no other way for me, I need to keep things rolling, it is easier and better to multitask, thus making sure all the plates remain spinning, than to stop and spend too long on one thing.

At home it is rather different.  I put something down and then I can forget about it for weeks, even months.  I know that things need to be done around the house, but I get distracted too easily.  I am a magpie, easily distracted by shimmery things!  So it was a pleasant surprise today to have a list to work from AND TO DO IT ALL.  Now, I admit, it was nothing too grand.  I put up pictures in my daughters room, I put up a clock in her room (OK, technically this was part of the same activity, but I want extra credit because a clock is not a picture), I put pictures up in to the attic, I helped clean up a pile of things in the corner of the conservatory, I booked tickets for the Royal Windsor Horse Show.  I rocked.  Very satisfying.

No comments: