Monday, November 14, 2011

Hellfire

I flew into Schipol airport last night and have to say it was an incredibly surreal experience. I fly quite often with work and am used to a lot of sights. For me, looking down in clouds will never lose its thrill, the beauty of the unadulterated peaks and troughs of snow white take my breath away. But last night was something different. As we approached Amsterdam there was a fog lying over the city. It was night time but the fog was thick enough that you couldn't see the buildings below. What you could see however was a patchwork of glowing areas where the buildings below were lighting the fog. Red mists swirled in angry winds. It was as though the land itself was burning, a desolate landscape with fires where an army had marched and razed the cities, scorched the earth. For a moment I was looking on the destruction of mankind.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I could live with a little destruction of mankind at the moment.

Merlin said...

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good