Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The "Stay at Home"

There is a risk that starting a blog is simply a method of creating an avenue for ranting. Is that a risk or a benefit?
We are having a conservatory fitted. This is undoubtedly "a good thing". I have spent 6 years (basically since we moved here) complaining about there not being enough space. Well, as we can't afford to move (possibly not entirely true, there might have been some bad accounting by me that miscalculated what we could afford) a conservatory is the next best thing. And it will look good. But when we arranged it we were categorically told, and I double checked on this, that we didn't need to be at home while they did it. So why did I spend most of today at home, why do I have to stay at home tomorrow morning, why do I have to be at home on Thursday afternoon? It appears that a categoric "you don't need to be at home", actually means "well, you will while they sort out the patio doors, and of course when the electrician comes around and....". .

2 comments:

1 i z said...

You could always employ my roofer/builder bloke and his family. Friendly but ultimately incompetent.

Did the garage roof - managed to pull down the entire garage door and frame in the process (I still have no idea how they achieved this).

Treated my brickwork with a water-proofing product - I left him the key to the side gate and meter room (so I didn't need to be in when they worked) I found the keys one night, on top of the wheely-bin, in full view to all who passed by, 2 feet from my front door.

Two weeks later he still hadn't confessed he'd 'lost them', despite having obviously managed to retrieve his ladders from the garden without being able to open the gate.

When he rang to say they'd finished and could I pay up, I queried the keys, which didn't so much result in an apology as him claiming ignorance and blaming his son (who was apparently in the bath as we spoke - more info than I needed...) and them then having a screaming row about it whilst I was still on the line.

It would be funny if it wasn't happening to me...

Merlin said...

I mean this in the nicest possible way but I have to admit it is comforting to know there is someone who has even more problem with workmen than I do! To be fair our workmen were Poles and they did a very good job, only problem being we couldn't understand anything they said.