Saturday, June 06, 2009

In the RAW

The new computer is ordered. This is good news. {Although, going off on a tangent, caused me some card issues. I ordered it using a credit card. But when I first tried to put it through the transaction was blocked. Apparently the fraud team were a bit nervous. I rang them up and they asked the necessary questions. I said that the amount was right and then they said who it was being paid to. Bearing in mind this is a computer I was therefore a bit surprised when the company showing the transaction was Chalston Motor Homes! After a bit of a panic we cleared it all up and everything went OK. Until today and trying to pay for the riding lesson, when my card was blocked again. Ringing up the fraud squad again it appears they had spotted the transaction again and once again were panicking, mainly because the name of the company had changed to the correct one rather than anyone trying to deal in motor homes. We cleared up the confusion and life returns to normal.}

Anyway, tangent over. Yes, good news. but in the meantime while waiting for delivery I have to try and sort out my files. Which means I realise I have a lot of photos on file. In RAW format (photographing in RAW leaves more flexibility for image manipulation later), so they ain't small, in fact almost 30gB of data. So I now have to transfer them all on to the new external hard drive that I have bought for image storage (the new computer will have only one hard drive which will be used for programs type information). And I also need to redesign my folder categories, the simple by date structure was becoming too cumbersome. Finally, once all of that is built, I then have to restore all the links for Lightroom so that it can find the photos.

I might be some time!

2 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

I empathise and am slightly nervous too - we are rapidly heading in that same direction too... just need to back up my itunes and search out which pc is going to replace the sick and dying one, am not looking forward to it!!

1 i z said...

So you're historic problems with computers...do you think it might be anything to do with the fact that you buy PCs named after Japanese water-splurgers and purchased from the sub-arm of a mobile-home outfit.

Just a thought ;-)