Thursday, June 12, 2008

Goodbye and Hello

There are a number of ways you can "read" the news of David Davis and his resignation. At its most basic it is either the act of a brave man standing up for his principles or a stupid man showboating at the wrong time. I hope it is the former, if for no reason more than it is nice to think of a politician still having morals that he is willing to make a sacrifice for.

Personally I am disappointed that the 42 day rule got through. I think it is a policy founded on what the public want, rather than one founded on reason. Of course the public want people put away as long as possible. This is one of those questions that shouldn't come to us. It is an issue that needs to be strongly argued and contested by those in the know. Decisions need to be based on fact, not on reaction. It really doesn't matter if the public are overwhelmingly in favour of it, we don't have the information to make the decision, and never will have that information. This is why we elect a parliament, for them to sit and study and learn waht is right, not for them to knee-jerk to what we "want".

I am also still trying to work out this compensation deal if you are held then released without charge. For a start, just becasue they are released doesn't actually mean that they are innocent, so terrorists may get paid £3000 a day for taking up police time. But, more importantly , surely it opens a massive door. If you are going to pay me £3000 a day for being held for 42 days then surely I should be paid £1500 a day for being held for 21 days. What if I am held for some reason other than being a terrorist and I am then released. Again surely I am entitled to some compensation. It seems no way to run a law.

No comments: