Thursday, August 27, 2009

GB Not GBH

What can only be described as a fairly inauspicious start to Greenbelt this year. Now, in the last week I have driven past Cheltenham Racecourse four or five times. Each time the weather has been poor veering towards miserable. So trying to summon up the sheer willingness to set off this morning wasn't easy. Home was sunny, I could already see from comments on Facebook that Cheltenham was not only NOT sunny, but was also windy. Wind and my tent do not go well together. It's fine once it is up, but for the last two years it nearly took off with someone holding on to it as we were erecting it. So I was not encouraged. Finally I set off, about 4 hours later than I had planned. And just as I arrived in Cheltenham I got a phone call from one of the team. They had been trying to put up a tent and it just wasn't working. They were giving in and going to find a hotel for a night. I got to the racecourse to meet them and sure enough it was a strong wind. Plus it had started to rain. I couldn't exactly ask for help with mine could I. Add to the mix that I had to write a training presentation for tomorrow (I had my previous stewards training session on a USB stick that blew up about 6 months ago, I thought I had back up but it turns out I didn't, or at least not somewhere I could find {although, now thinking about it I may just have realised where} so I got an old version off someone else but it needs tweaking) and the battery was running low on my computer. All in all I felt that the fates were conspiring and a dignified retreat to a hotel was called for. I just remembered why, for a few years, I hired a caravan. Anyways, it feels completely wrong to be at Greenbelt and in a hotel. Hopefully tomorrow will see the tent going up (inbetween running training sessions).

5 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

oh dear - pleased you are settled and not out in the cold and wind... see for me camping would only serve to make me grumpy...caravan I could cope with, tent.. no way.
Will pack my boots and waterproof then! :) Good luck with the presentation

Sarah said...

I've got a copy of your training from April 2008 if you want it.

Hope the weather gets better - the weekend is supposed to be quite sunny. I will be thinking of you all from my nice warm house...

Merlin said...

A copy of the 2008 training would be useful BUT YOU'RE NOT HERE!!!!!!!!! Seriously though, can you email it to me. I will be able to see it on the iPhone and check I haven't forgotten anything.

Sarah said...

I know, and isn't training more fun when I'm there? PArticularly if you want amdram drunk punters...

Sarah said...

Oops... Greenbelters, I meant...