Saturday, August 01, 2009

Splashing About

Whoops. Seem to have forgotten to blog while away. I was full of good intentions but Menorca distracted me. Bit of a shock coming back today though. After a week of temperatures between 29-31 and hardly ever a cloud in the sky, torrential rain and thunderstorms of the UK are not inspiring. Even considering hopping back on a flight.

I haven't been abroad to somewhere like Menorca for a very long time. So I wasn't sure what to expect. And the initial introduction into package holidays "Hi I'm Jasmine, your rep for the week, are we all ready to have fun ..... not loud enough, are we all ready to have fun" filled me with certain foreboding. But when I discovered that the sea really is as blue as the brochures, and that it is great for snorkeling (something else I haven't done for about 30 years but I have now been bittne by the bug), and that we could get out on boats then the holiday took on a different outlook. I haven't driven a car all week, which was great as it meant cold beer at lunch time was an option. And sangria in the evening helped mellow the day away. The boat trips made it for me though. The first was despite a daughter taking a sulk and just wanting to stay by the pool. And I almost caved, but then I decided it would be good to get out and that I would put up with a sulky daughter if need be, because staying by the pool was going to "do my head in". As it was "A" loved the trip, we talked about pirates and imagined where they hid, we swam in the sea, we had icecreams (I think she averaged about three a day in the end) and it was all such a success that she first apologies and then asked if we could go on another one. So very last minute we arranged one for the last afternoon, which was a great trip, around the north coast in a renovated Scottish fishing trawler, just eleven people on board including the two crew. And when we stopped at a beach I was able to go snorkeling again off the side of the boat. In fact "A" tried snorkeling as well, starting at the beach and she took to it like the proverbial duck to water, very excited to see the fish.

Fresh air during the day, swimming, boating, and then able to read my books in the evening. All in all a nice way to spend a week.

1 comment:

Rainbow dreams said...

that sounds so beneficial and wonderful - pleased you had time to relax. Blue water and clear sunny skies...lots to be said for it