Friday, August 14, 2009

Speak Clearly

I've been asked to fill in a quick customer survey. In moving to the new computer I had a problem with Photoshop. Now Adobe did a good job and actually gave me an extra licence. And a few weeks later they want me to complete the survey on how well they did. I clicked on the link thinking I would give them a glowing report. And yet on the first page I am already so annoyed that I don't know if I can continue. Why am I annoyed? Because they ask what is my preferred language. The choices are "English", which clearly I am about to click on, after all I live in the UK, it is our native language, OR, and this is where I get annoyed, "British English". What the hell is that about? I have seen similar when loading other programmes and the language choice is English (US) or English (UK). I am sorry, there is no such thing as English (US). English is English, it is how we speak in the UK (allowing for minor welsh and scottish variations, OK and northern, and south west and....... oh you get my point). What it definitely is not is American. That's right English (US) is not English, it's American!!!!!!! America might think it is a superpower rather than just an upstart, but it can't have our language.

No, I'm sorry, you did a wonderful job Mr.Adobe, but you have now upset me too much, I am not going to tell you how well you did. After all, you might not understand my accent.

No comments: