Sunday, August 30, 2009

On tenterhooks

Whoops, 4 am and I just woke my daughter up. Have you any idea how difficult it is to get into a tent quietly! All those zips and things. Anyway, I think it was only a brief break in her slumber.
There are a lot of tents at Greenbelt. Of the twenty thousand or so people attending the festival, the majority are campers. A few always manage to lose their tents. Being asked to help find a green tent among a sea of green tents may not rank highly as a favourite pasttime for stewards. So to be volunteered to drive not one but two lost campers when the only thing they can really tell us ia that the tents are not together wasn't an ideal way to end the shift. To be fair, the guy wasn't too bad, but the woman rraly has taken out the book on dizzy blondes. {An aside, these two knew each other from university fifteen years ago, and they didn't know they would be here. How's that for coincidence}. Driving around the curfew campsite she was more interested in offering us muffins (no euphemism intended), trying to sing us a song, and asking what nickname she would have if she was on our team (Happytalk comes to mind). Anyway talking so much that she completely misses her tent despite us asking if she recognises anything, so we end up having to so another sweep. She fails to understand why we can't drop her in the middle of the campsite in the middle of the night with no idea where she is going. No, somewhat like Mastermind question, once started we must finish. And, I am pleased to report that, after a false start when she opened the wrong tent, we did get her back safely.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I lost my tent at Greenbelt once but in my defence I had drunk quite a lot of whisky. It was green and it was 'over there' somewhere. It may have helped that I'd been stewarding and had drunk the whisky on the Monday night with stewards, so they were helpful...

Merlin said...

Not exactly sure how you can use alcohol as mitigating circumstances.

Sarah said...

Well, I think it's more understandable to lose your tent when drunk than when sober. And I'd never really drunk much before coming to Greenbelt so I really had no idea how fast it would affect me. Took me a long time to learn my lesson though.