Monday, May 05, 2008

Leg It

We went to the Black Country Museum today. At one point we almost turned around to find an indoor venue as the weather was horrible. But it did improve and the majority of the day was fine. Not sure how much "A" really enjoyed it, possibly saved by the funfair and the helter-skelter. I, on the other hand, had a great time. Mainly because we went on the canal boat trip into Dudley tunnel. And on the way back the pilot started explaining about the art of "legging". This is where the crew would "walk" the barge through tunnels (obviously the horses couldn't go through) by lying down and placing their feet on the tunnel wall, then pushing off. Something I have always wanted to do. Then he asked. The pilot said "does anyone want a go?" Well doh, yeah. I stick my hand up and say "yes please". The other 40 odd people on board gave a collective sigh because this meant going out of the tunnel to let another boat in then returning to have a chance at legging. Thus adding 10 minutes on the trip. But I don't care, because I loved it. A second person agreed and that was all we needed. We started legging the boat out of the tunnel. Very hard work (especially when the pilot put the engine running against us). My legs were quite wobbly by the end. And to think that they would do this for 4 hours at a time.

No comments: