Friday, May 30, 2008

London Calling

It is reported that Gordon Brown is taking his "getting in touch with the people" motif seriously. To the extent that he is cold calling people who have written or emailed 10 Downing Street. Now, I have to admit that I am not entirely convinced that this is a good use of his time. At 20 people a week it is goinig to take a while to reach critical mass if he really feels this will swing the votes. I would have thought that he should have some slightly more pressing matters on his mind. That aside, calling people at 0600 hrs may actually show a lack of connection. The majority of us are either are asleep at that time, and not wanting to be woken, or are rushing around trying to get ready to go to work while realising that you have poured coffee on your cornflakes and milk in the cafetiere.

I'm wondering how you'd get him off the phone as well. It might be worth reading him a few pages from Cheries autobiography. Alternatively asking for a wee donation towards your petrol money. Of course, a peerage would be out of the question.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

It's not really cold calling, is it? They wrote to him first.

I think it's more a way of keeping in touch with what real people think than getting the swing votes. Presumably he enjoys speaking to people - he's presented as dour and grumpy but he must be reasonably personable to have been elected in the first place.

But no, 6 in the morning wouldn't be a winner for me either...

Merlin said...

You are maybe a bit more innocent of thought than me.

But you may be partly right. I don't think anyone in the Party is talking to him at the moment, so maybe he's feeling lonely

Sarah said...

I'm more cynical than I used to be - social housing does that to you... But apparently he's been doing it since he was in the treasury.

I was leaning towards thinking that the idea that the labour party were getting ready to ditch him was more media hype than anything - so much in politics is based on what people believe, which is largely shaped by what the media say. But I listened to this week's question time, and the minister on was so reticent about backing Gordon Brown that it makes me wonder if there's something in it.