Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hanging On The Telephone

I have followed the Sachsgate episode with only mild interest. I think it is very much a storm in a teacup. That doesn't mean I think that the call was right. It was certainly insulting. But I really think that it was an issue between individuals and should never have become the great public fiasco that it has developed into.

The BBC have apologised that this episode came so far below the audiences expectations. That isn't actually true. Of the people listening that night only 2 people complained. Those I have spoken to who are fans of the pragramme said it was funny, even if in bad taste. The complaints have come from people who never even listen to the programme and who don't like Brand or Ross anyway. It has simply turned into an opportunity for those who dislike them, their humour, and what they represent to have a go at them in the "told you so" kind of way. People hate Ross because he is paid ridiculous amounts of money, well, to be fair, that isn't his fault. If someone wants to give him loads of money why should he say no. It is the same as footballers, I don't think that they should be paid as much as they are, but I don't blame them for taking it. And Brand simply makes people feel uncomfortable, they don't know what to make of him, and our response to what we don't understand is to get defensive.

I don't like what they did. But it is what they are paid for, to be spontaneous and to break the boundaries.

No comments: