Monday, November 19, 2007

Oops Upside Your Head

"I also love the way you say "society needs to learn how to work for the individual" - I would phrase it entirely the other way round - though I think that's what makes us so different politically...". This comment from my previous blog deserves a blog of its own. I love the fact that my friends will challenge my beliefs. Anyway, I think this is an interesting philosophy.

The two statements do reflect opposite ends of a spectrum. I believe that society, that is the "we", should be working towards getting the best from every individual and the way to do that is to recognise that each is an individual, with different things to offer. By "getting the best" I mean realising their potential, as I believe that is how people can feel valued and respect themselves. Turn that on it's head, to the individual working for society, and we move towards trying to make everyone and everything equal, and therefore moving towards the lowest common denominator, providing for people does not give them value and a position it just makes them think that they are owed something and the world is unfair.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have no idea what your title means.

I wish I wasn't so tired - I know I have some coherent thoughts somewhere.

It certainly isn't about bringing everyone down to a lowest common denominator.

I haven't worked out yet how we can provide a safety net without it being abused and people becoming dependent - I think that would require a huge amount of investment.

I believe we are social beings and that society has a bigger impact on us than individuals. So my analysis tends to start with society.

I think a lot of the problems in our current culture are created by the focus on individuals - the huge differece between wages at the top and the bottom, the huge income some people have at the expense of others, a consumerist culture which becomes a very selfish culture.

I accidentally typed 'very elfish' culture. Perhaps this is the way to go and we should all start growing pointy ears.