Thursday, December 20, 2007

Don't Click

So what I used to do, and what I think black and white is so good for, is go down to public areas and take pictures of people. Crowds, individuals lost in the crowd, etc. Today, rather short notice, I needed to go to London. So I thought it would be a good opportunity to take my new camera. Set it to monochrome. And try to get some atmospheric shots. And lucky me, I was going to be at Euston. That should be good. Quack Quack Oops. Apparently you are not allowed to take pictures in train stations. I ahve been told. After I took a photo. A rather insistant man came up to me, with two policemen in the background, one of whom was carry a gun. And he told me I couldn't take photos. And then he had problems understanding that I was saying sorry and that I wouldn't do it again. He got more and more agitated explaining that it was security, and it wasn't allowed etc. I just calmly said I understood, I was sorry, it didn't use to be a problem, I won't do it again, I'll delete the one photo I had taken if it helps. And had to repeat myself again and again. After a three minute lecture he finally realised that I wasn't complaining, wasn't being trouble, and was genuinely apologising. And I felt lucky to get away.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I can only assume that it's because it's 2am and i'm a wee bit pissed that i pre-read your opening line as '....is go down to public toilets and take pictures of people...'. hey, if you're going to get arrested anyway, why not? it would be atmospheric....