Sunday, October 21, 2007

Armchair Weekend


So I was expected to blog about the rugby. I am pleased not to disappoint. But I was also waiting for the Grand Prix.

You see I find it amusing that I think that we are probably the nation that get most excited about a posible win, so getting a countdown in the newspapers, programmes on TV giving us the bio of the champions-to-be etc. And we do all of this before the event. And then most often do not deliver. Maybe that is why we get so excited before, we are used to the Henmans, Coulthards etc not succeeding so feel we need to make the most of possibilities.

Anyway, sure enough the weekend did not pan out as hoped. I was truly impartial for the rugby. I wanted the best team to win. It is somewhat ironic that England losing may well have come down to a disallowed try, ironis becuase what I hate about the England team is the fact that they have forgotten to score tries. But everyone is admitting that it wasn't a try so we shouldn't hear this story for years to come. no, the best team won, in that it was the team that never lost a match throughout the tournament, that score many wonderful tries and had a line out that couldn't be beaten.

As to the Grand Prix. Yes Lewis made a mistake, but without the engine problems he would still have won the championship. It is unfair to lay all the blame at his feet. Yes it would have been good to see the first rookie ever to win the F1 season, but he did well none-the-less

As a footnote - it now appears that there is a stewards enquiry on BMW and, if upheld, the disqualification of BMW would move Lewis up enough to win

6 comments:

Caroline said...

it seems this whole series has been a constant stream of stewrds enquiries whcih one team after another bleating about something naughty another team has done. after the bleatings in previous years about teams members corrupting the finishing places by letting each other through the 'sport' is rapidly losing it's way. there's no point actually atching the series anymore, they may as well just stick webcams in the stewards room.

Merlin said...

I agree with you entirely C. I stopped "watching" F1 years ago. I still keep track of what is happening but that is as far as it goes. Somehow it doesn't have the same excitement as in the past.

Sarah said...

I'll feel sorry for him if he does win now. There's no point in being the first person ever to win the F1 world championship in your first season if you don't do it actually at the race.

What bothered me about the rugby was the way all the itv interviewers kept trying to provoke players into saying it had been a try after the game. I was very impressed with their dignity.

I have to say, I followed thed game until any point where they were in a big pile on the floor. then the rules started to become unclear...

Caroline said...

indeed, as sir stirling among others has said, it would indeed be a hollow victory if hamilton gets to win on this new technicality. (and similarly if the others deliberatly cheated then i hope they sleep well with their equally hollow victory if they are not penalised)

sally said...

The rugby..lots of men in heaps on the floor. Causing injury and bleeding. really don't get it...

As for Lewis H, I know of someone in St Albans, not personally, but a blokey with too much money who put £5K on at the beginning of the season for him to win the championship, he stood to win....£120K. I was all set to ask for a donation...he must be gutted!

sally said...

The rugby..lots of men in heaps on the floor. Causing injury and bleeding. really don't get it...

As for Lewis H, I know of someone in St Albans, not personally, but a blokey with too much money who put £5K on at the beginning of the season for him to win the championship, he stood to win....£120K. I was all set to ask for a donation...he must be gutted!