Saturday, February 02, 2008

England 19 - Wales 26


I thought about it. I thought about it long and hard. But hey, on Friday I was given a hard time by certain England supporters who were just a bit too cocky. So, I finally decided I have to mention it. Now I admit, Wales didn't play particularly well for the majority of the game. However neither did England. And in the last 20 minutes Wales suddenly managed to pull it together. That might be because, by then, a large number of Ospreys had gone off injured (I still can't quite fathom how 13 players came from a team that a lying near the bottom of the league) . And, to an extent, England did self destruct, with wild passes going astray and a general lack of cohesion. But there has to be credit as well. Within 5 minutes of the start of the second half England were 19-6 ahead. At that point Wales looked dead in the water. It would have been easy for them to capitulate and for England to pile on the points. Instead Wales rallied, kept a belief, and came back again and again. And then finally managed to bring it together and show good running rugby and adventure. The last ten minutes were nerve wracking, my heart trying to beat out of my chest as an unbelievable result turned into reality.

No comments: