Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Grad

Now sometimes, when people find out that I am a vet, they seem to feel they have something to prove. Last night I was talking to the manager of the hotel where I had just given a talk. He was explaining how he MC'd wedings and I commented on the fact that in a survey more people were afraid of public speaking than of death, which, statistics being as manipulable as they are, could indicate that most people would prefer to die than to speak publically. He started to explain how he got in to speaking and that it was connected to when he was a student, but his opening sentence went something like "I went to university as well, in 2001, and 2002, and 2003, BA (Hons)...." and I thought how strange that he felt he had to drop in to the conversation that he got an hons, which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of conversation.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't really know why people make such a fuss about getting the honours anyway - it's pretty standard. I do get a bit irritated when people get honours without doing a dissertation or similar large project as it's so much more work than just doing a normal module - it seems like cheating.