Saturday, February 09, 2008

Varekai- Cirque du Soleil


Oh yes. Been waiting for months. And it was so worth it. Went to London today to see Varekai. It's been two years since we last saw Cirque live. And seeing them makes us question why we even try with the wannabe shows that are around. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can match the Cirque. Both acts were an hour long. Both acts felt like they were ten minutes. Spell-binding stuff. Mind you, I have to admit that the Aerial Straps, shown here, verged on to the homo-erotic, two men naked for all but a basque clasping each other as they swing to amazing heights.

I loved Allegria when we saw that. I was worried that today would not live up to my hopes and expectations. I need not have feared. Very different shows. Allegria was more circus, Varekai is more theatre. We had ringside seats, the very front row. The acts were smiling and winking at "A" who loved the whole thing. Beautiful costumes, great music (although Allegria was definitely better on that score), and speed combined with death defying stunts. Not a safety harness in site despite the jaw-dropping heights they go to.

Heaven.

No comments: