Friday, February 08, 2008

Win or Lose

I was interested to see the Tories have plans for reforming the lottery. I have recently stopped buying a lottery ticket. I once won over £1500 and I used to regularly win £10 or so, and as such I suspect I finally broke even. Which I know isn't exactly the aim when it is to help charity.

I fully endorse the idea that the money from the lottery isn't going to the right places at the moment, that projects which should be covered by the government are being subsidised. To such an extent that I am disillusioned with the whole scheme, hence no longer buying a ticket. So I am all for a redistribution. But in other areas I am not so sure. I can't help but smile at the idea that they will cut the amount spent on admin, to make it more like a normal charity. I am sorry, I really am if you work for a charity, but my experience of trying to work with charities and other good causes is one of despair. The inability of such organisations to actually get things done often defies belief. Offered money and sponsorship they often manage to actively discourage the helping hand. They mismange and fail to drive a project. I understand why, volunteers also have a life so it is difficult to manage everything, but it is a major cause of frustration and leads to a decision to no longer be involved.

No comments: