Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Homeland


32000 houses to be built in the South East. But will it really help. Is the problem a lack of housing? I don't think so. Inappropriate housing built in appropriate places is the problem. But, more importantly, these houses get built without a supporting infrastructure. Houses go up but without new doctors, new schools, decent bus services, or even pubs/restaurants.


We have 70 houses being built behind us. Unlike some of our neighbours I really have no problems with the idea of more houses per se. The ground was waste ground anyway. It wasn't attractive, it didn't improve the scenery. I did go to a planning meeting but I was embarrassed by the NIMBY attitude of some of the people living in this road. But what i don't like is that there are no new facilities being built. There is no where to go out near here, the pub up the hill is rough (to say the least). And new houses without facilities will lead to children playing on the road and all the other things that are bad. Yes build houses, but also build the support network that is needed.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I think (did you put this up just to provoke me???) that the shortage of houses is a problem. The housing association I work for has a waiting list of about 9000 people with a stock of 15000 properties. Admittedly, some people do sign up to multiple housing associations. But a lot of our tenants are overcrowded as well because of a shortage of big enough homes. So there's definitely a shortage.

There are also a lot of houses which are empty and unused and, I believe, a lot of houses in areas people aren't prepare to live.

But I do agree that there is a need for more infrastructure - I assume that's a planning issue. I don't really know who decided to build a new doctor's surgery when building a housing estate, or who funds it.

Guess I'll find out - I'm starting an MSc in Housing Practice and will be happy to debate the issue to your heart's content!

Sarah said...

And I'd dispute that children playing on the road is always bad. It's ok if it's a safe road and they're old enough to move out of the way when cars come.

Merlin said...

You already mentioned the real problem in your first comment. It isn't that there aren't enough houses. There are empty houses and there are places that people don't want to live. We need to address the reason for that. And why are those houses empty, why don't people want to live there? Because the infrastructure isn't good enough. Our landscape is a precious thing and we have already destroyed a greater proportion than, I believe, any other country. Simply building on more isn't the answer.

As to children playing on roads - we live in a cul de sac, the children play on the road and I have no problem with that (although some neighbours do). It isn't bad per se, but it is what then can develop if those children have nothing to do and get bored.

Sarah said...

There's an estate in Manchester which has been knocked down and rebuilt. It looks very nice. But there was at least one shooting in the area recently. The issue is way bigger than just infrastructure - it involves raising chilren's expectations and getting people out of the benefits trap, as well as a decent education and worthwhile jobs. More houses would help a lot of people, but on its own that isn't enough.

Damn, I've just agreed with you...