Thursday, August 02, 2007

Under Canvas


Greenbelt is rapidly approaching. As one of the biggest UK festivals (around 20k visitors) it is hard to imagine that it is almost entirely organised and run by volunteers. And we all find different ways to cope with the pressure that puts on us. Me, I go for denial, I know I can't fit in everything I have to between now and then so it is easier to pretend it isn't going to be happening. Others try to find different ways.

I started going to Greenbelt 24 years ago. I used to have a tent. About 4 years ago age took the better of me and I hired a caravan. Luxury. But a lot of money to spend for a shower! The hours I work running the Support Team mean that I get little else in the way of benefits from the caravan. And I have felt guilty about how much it cost. This year I am going back to a tent. I bought a new tent, a 4 man job. Tried putting it up in the garden today. When I say tried, the attempt was foiled not because I am no longer capable but because our garden is not big enough. It really is a big tent. I suspect the footprint is the same as the caravan. Slightly worried that if I do put it up then I will end up with squatters.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Merlin love, has noone told you about the new european tent size regulations in force at GB this year?