Monday, August 06, 2007

Row Row Row Your Boat

Right, I said I would give more details of our holiday, and I am not one to lie. So canoeing...

On the Thursday afternoon weather reports were very good for the Friday. I decided that a bit more activity would be good. I had picked up a leaflet for Tamar Canoeing. I rang them and they had one space left. As they also thought the weather was going to be better (to be honest it couldn't be worse) we booked a place.

Friday dawned and wasn't as sunny as I hoped. But we were committed (or should have been) so we set off to Morwelham Quay, the meeting point. We arrived there and it seemed fairly obvious that at some point it would rain. But we are hardy sorts and decided to rough it (stop sniggering in the back row please). After a shakey start - three groups failed to make it to the start and then the bus also failed to make it - we got to the launch point. We were going to be paddling upstream (whose bright idea was that) but the river didn't look as though it was running too quickly.

One by one people got in their canoes. We were one of the last. I got in the front, "A" in the middle and "J" in the back. It seemed a good idea. Once we set off we rapidly realised that having the power in the front, effectively turning the canoe into front wheel dirve, was not the best choice. Control was a bit wayward. OK, honestly, we basically zigged then zagged our way upstream. On top of the steering problems I discovered that "A"s best attempts lead to a paddling style that had the side effect of splashing forward. By the half way point I was soaked. A fairly random approach to direction meant we were near last at this stage. In fact the only couple doing worse than us were the ones who I had expected would be in charge when they first turned up - you know the sort, in the right gear, basically sporty, looking enthusiastic. We gained a place by dint of the fact that one couple couldn't line up with the jetty but basically this was not a proud moment (topped by me almost falling out of the canoe, not an elegant sight)

We got out and had a rest (a few darted into the pub, but not me, our course already looked as though it was influenced by alcohol). Then we got back in for the second leg. Plan B saw "J" in the front and me in the back. Much better control. At the same time "A" decided to change style and this resulted in the splashing coming backwards, ie over me again. This time we managed to stay in the middle of the pack and in fact were almost in the lead at one point when we were stopped to allow the others to catch up, I never regained momentum. On getting to the finish I did not fall out of the canoe when getting out, but a slight miscalculation did see me going ankle deep into the Tamar with my shoes on.

It is worth noting that we had added a comedy element throughout as "A" had made friends with another girl at the beginning. "A" had then decided that she wanted to share her flapjack with "F" at the end. So the others were treated to a running commentary by a 5 year old trying to keep her flapjack dry for the entire proceedings. "A" was also disappointed by her parents not managing to keep up with her friends boat and that disappointment was often made clear to those within earshot..

{Photos to follow later, there seems to be a download problem at the moment}

No comments: