Sunday, August 19, 2007

Moo Oink - Oh No

To fully understand why the entries for Friday 17th and Saturday 18th August worry me so much you have to appreciate my experiences at Greenbelt. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be a vet, and I am very happy to be involved with Greenbelt. But the two have a habit of colliding in spectacular manner. I have been asked to treat numerous pigeons (and one crow). I was called when someones rabbit was attacked by a fox (and I am still struggling with the concept of taking a rabbit to a festival). I have been asked to examine a cat found on a balcony (bit of a mystery, food and water in bowls, one cat on the fourth floor balcony, no owner). I have had to treat a goat kid, but thankfully not the camel (I have actually helped a camel give birth before now but not at Greenbelt, that's another story). And I receive the radio calls when a pig was spotted wandering around the camp-site (to which, I admit, it gave me great pleasure to be able to respond "I know"). I was also called when someone discovered a wasps nest, conversation going something like -

Control: "Merlin, we have a report of a wasps nest"
Me: "And why exactly are you telling me?"
Control: "You're a vet"
Me "OK, so I will take their pulse but I need someone to help hold the wings open"

I think the sarcasm was lost.

No comments: