Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I Win


Previous readers will know I am not a fan of Labour. But Ed Balls (what an unfortunate name for an education minister, can you imagine the playground "you're name is what? Balls? Boy are we going to have fun with you") has won me over.

We have descended into a compensation culture. One that stops us living. What do we teach our children when they can't ever take a risk? Risks are important, the teach us to strive forward, to excel. When school trips are cancelled then something is drastically wrong. I grew up going on outward bounds courses, pot-holing, canoeing, archery, scuba diving, abseiling. In fact I used to go and play in the disused signal box across the way (my mother only recently discovered this and nearly had a heart attack). But it pushed me, made me find things I thought I couldn't do and then realise I could try anything. At a time when we are complaining that our children are becoming more housebound we should not be limiting their adventures.

I am very grateful that the school "A" goes to does not seem to suffer from the PC culture. The headmistress is strict and rules the place - and in turn the children respect her. She does not cancel school when there is some snow and actually lets them go out in it to play. She allows them to compete.
So the headmistress at our school and Ed are doing the right thing. Challenge our children and make them grow.

No comments: