Tuesday, July 17, 2007

More Money


The gap between rich and poor is growing. It seems strange after Labour have been in power for so long. I always thought this was a key area for them.

What really interested me was a survey reported on Radio 4 this morning. Asking people in London how well off they were, almost all didn't think themselves rich. But a high proportion of the nations money is concentrated there. The reason they didn't consider themselves rich was because their peers were all in the same position, they didn't meet anyone who was poor.

And I can relate to this. In the cold light of day I know we are well off. But it doesn't feel like it. Friends and neighbours afford better (and more) cars, better holidays, bigger houses. And I end up feeling I don't provide for my family. But the reality is that we pay our credit card bills off every month, we have a manageable mortgage (when interest rates go up I think of the increase on my savings not the impact on the mortgage), we don't borrow. We are secure, and a long while ago I stopped working for the money as I realised there are more important things to life, but sometimes, just sometimes, that bug for more green paper creeps in.

1 comment:

sally said...

No, don't feel a heel...I think I was agreeing with you! yes, I want more money, it's human naute, but I was simply saying that compared with people I come across through my work, I know I am rich really..which is what you were saying..don't be so hard on yourslef!!!