Sunday, September 02, 2007

An Answer


"One Pedestrian" is certainly challenging our perception of Greenbelt in this post. And the comments from others seem to show that there is more than a grain of truth in what she has written. This is important because it means that there is an aspect of Greenbelt that we really need to consider and examine. There are certainly challenges to us as individuals and to Greenbelt as a whole.

On the individual issue, I honestly believe that, for the majority of people I know who do work at Greenbelt, it is not about wanting to be important or elitist. In fact, over the years, I think those who did see it that way have been wittled out. So the majority simply want to give something back to Greenbelt and to other people. And often it is simply that when a new job comes up some of us aren't very good at ducking quickly!

While it is true that the "team", the "work", and all that entails, is now my Greeneblt experience and it is what I love, it doesn't mean that I would feel that I didn't belong if I wasn't doing it. My first year (1982) at Greenbelt I was part of a group, the next two years I went by myself and had as good a time because I talked to new people. I started stewarding in my fourth year because I had gone to uni and couldn't afford the ticket but I still wanted to be at Greenbelt (stewards get in free). I continued stewarding because I found it rewarding to do something for the festival.

So, is Greenbelt a place for singletons? That is a difficult question because we are all different, some of us enjoy a time of being alone while some don't. Some enjoy being part of a group, some enjoy being alone but with people around them, while others just want to be alone. While it may seem trite, computer games are a good example. You can play a game on your own computer, completely unconnected to the rest of the world. Or you can go for a multi-player on-line game and join with others as you go on your raids. Or you may join the on-line game but "solo", enjoying working by yoourself but being surrounded by others.
But Greenbelt is possibly the one place where you can be sure that a complete stranger will be more than happy to share a cup of tea with you and discuss religion, politics or simply what is your favourite book. Say hello and you will be greeted with a smile.
There is, however, a certain amount of "as tick follows tock". Because if you go as a singleton and meet people then the following year you are likely to meet up with them and are no longer a "singleton".

Yes the strength may be in group participation. But a group can be made up of a number of single people. The atmosphere at a rock concert, or a sports match, isn't becuase everyone knows each other but because you have a group "want". That is what is behind Greenbelt, a group desire, the group being all 20000 people who are there. Small groups may have their own desires and their own objectives, but there is still an overwhelming desire that is Greenbelt.

That said, I think that some of us should make it our aim to improve the Greenbelt experience for singletons.

No comments: