Thursday, September 20, 2007

My First Time


I have today taken the plunge and changed to Virgin Media. For years I have said I hate Sky, I think they are a terrible company, and I have been looking for an opportunity to change. Conversely my previous internet provider was fantastic, "Power Internet" , but they have had to concentrate more on business use and were just getting too expensive. The final clincher was the amount of spam email I was receiving, it was time to change address.

And it has been a surprisingly painless experience. They called to make sure I was OK with the time for installation (which was my first choice), they turned up and were efficient. Got the internet working relatively easily. Had a half hour argument with someone in India because there was a bit of disagreement about which package I had signed up for - I believed I should be getting the sports channels. I applied on-line for the VIP package, which includes the sports, but I didn't need the V+ box or a spare digibox (with only 1 TV in the house why would I need two boxes). I therefore unclicked for these options, just requesting one normal box. Apparently they say you have to take the package as is so they removed the sports channels even though I had left them ticked. My argument was that they shouldn't have made it possible for me to unclick an option and they shouldn't have sent an email confirming the deal. The answer seemed to be that they would send an engineer around with the two boxes I didn't want. It took a long time to explain that this would be a waste of their time and money as I didn't need or want them. The guy I was speaking to kept saying it was a better deal. I kept saying that something is only "value added" if the customer wants it, and I didn't. We finally agreed to let me have the package I wanted but not have the more expensive boxes. Allowing for me getting incredibly frustrated at one point he handled me well and all seems fine now.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I had an exceptionally frustrating conversation with a techie guy ina call-centre somewhere. We have an Orange livebox which supplies our internet connection. I wanted to know what we needed to get to make it connect wirelessly to our two computers. He seemed to have even less idea about how wireless internet connections work than I did. He eventually referred me back to the sales team. I rang them. They said I needed to speak to technical support. I decided against risking that ever again and got Matt to ring up someone who had already done what we were trying to do. Problem solved.

I know it's a cliche and a lame joke, but "help" desk? I don't think so...