Friday, September 21, 2007

Have It



This is a very contentious area, should organ donation be opt in or opt out. Now, straight up, I admit this isn't something that worries me. Theoretically you can use any parts of my body you want once I am gone. Practically you may have problem finding bits that are worth using, but it's the thought that counts.

There is certainly a shortage of organs. And making the assumption that all have opted in would certainly help. But there is a fair level of thought that making this assumption makes us nothing more than a walking spare part. It is a very emotive subject, the roots of which are complex. If you beleive that the body is simply a vessel to help you get around then donation is not a major concern, but if you believe that the body contains your essence then donation is a lot more important.

And I have always wondered if we will ever get to taking a brain and putting it in a body. Is it a brain transplant or a body transplant?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yes it is, but surely, if people feel that strongly about it, they can opt out. And if their family feel that strongly about it, they can say no.

Because I'm guessing the families whose children die due to a lack of organs also feel very strongly about it.

For the rcord, when I die they can have what they want. I won't be needing my corneas any more.