Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wooing


The Labour conference is over. I do struggle to understand why those of you who support Labour fail to see how cynical they are.

You've got Yvette Cooper saying how we need more housing and that not enough has been built over the last decade. Yes, but I would point out that Labour have been in charge for that decade and that the man who is now in charge was actually the second most important person in the country during that time.

You have got Jack Straw saying we need to change the laws on self-defence. This is the poilicy that was suggested by the Conservatives two years ago and was squashed by Labour. But now, before an election, they suddenly seem to adopt a policy that will bring disenfranchised conservatives over. And how, just how, has Jack Straw been able to stop criminals on four occassions - where is he going that he manages to be in the trouble spots? Never him being attacked, but him managing to come to the rescue of others, like a rather low-rent superman.

I still haven't worked out what Brown was up to bringing Thatcher to Number 10. I admire Thatcher, I think she was good for the country (and I know that certain readers will have found their opinion of me plummet further) but I really can't work out how a Labour Prime Minister would be happy associating with the person who was the scurge of the unions.

I don't want Labour trying to woo me by adopting the policies of my party, or by hugging someone I admire. What I want is them to come out and discuss, debate, and convince me of their arguments. I will listen to debate, I will consider strong reasoning, but what I won't do is be swayed by window-dressing

No comments: