Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Apple

Although I haven’t been learning my lines as well as I should, I also haven’t been reading. I love reading and I am missing my books this year. With the second degree over I felt I could do a bit of reading for a week. With a trip to Edinburgh for work I decided I could take a book. Only problem being that I thought I only needed to take one book. But, having not read anything for quite a while, I devoured the book. So I was in Scotland for a week but I managed to read my book within the first 24 hours!

And so, to the book - “The Apple” by Michael Faber. A sequel to “The Crimson Petal and The White”. Or a sort of sequel. In fact you could pick it up without having read the first. It was, in essence, a collection of short stories. Trying to give a bit more background to the characters in the novel. Either revealing a bit of their past or their future. Not enough to answer any questions. Readers of “The Crimson Petal” are probably split into two camps - those who love the ending and those that hate it. Because, as an ending, it leaves more unanswered than answered. It is left for the reader to think what might happen to the central figures. “The Apple” does not interfere with your thoughts, it doesn’t steer you to a final point, but it maybe points you in a direction for some, but not all, of the people you have grown to know.

No comments: