Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bedtime Blues

My daughter is 7 this week. Asked what she wanted to do for her birthday party she elected for a sleep over. Now, to be honest, I think that this is a bit young for a sleep over, but the precedent has already been set and it is this years "thing". So yesterday was her party. First off was taking "A" and 4 friends to Hannah Montana. This was probably my starring moment. Not Hannah Montana but the taking of children to the cinema. I have an Audi A6 for a test drive this weekend. I tend to drive quite fast anyway, and the acceleration isn't bad in this car. So they rather enjoyed sitting in the back with the windows down as we tore up duel carriageways and around roundabouts (actually one of them wanted the window closed as she thought she might fall out). Loads of bonus points for me there.

When we got to the cinema I tried to convince the attendent that she wasn't supposed to let middle aged men in to Hannah Montana. I failed. I did take my iPhone with me and the headphones, but somehow I resisted listening to my own music (I may have surfed the web a bit, but credit where it is due please). We then took them to Buddies for tea. And at this point we are doing OK.

The sleep over bit may not have been quite so good. One girl was scared by the ghost stories they were telling each other. I should point out that our house is only 20 years old and in no way scary. I should also point out that this girl watched Coraline, which looks an incredibly scary film to me (well, I mean for 7 year olds, obviously not for me). And Scooby jumped on to my daughters bed, scratching her leg in the process. And.......and.......and. Anyway, they were up and down the stairs like a yoyo until I raised my voice. Even then they kept awake upstairs. In fact, at one point J threatened that I would come up to speak to them and they laughed. Hmm, I clearly need to work on the intimidation factor. In the end they didn't go to sleep until gone 0030 hrs.

Which meant that they were all still asleep when the parents came to pick them up. Rather embarassing. When "A" has been at a sleep over then the next morning they are all fed, watered and packed by the time they are picked up. Ours were still snoring.

I am shattered.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I think you just have more experience than most of people who stay up late and need to sleep in the morning...

1 i z said...

Ah now we have the defining feature of the Support team...it's what happens to the kids who stay up late at sleep-overs ;-)

Rainbow dreams said...

hate to say this, but this is merely the trailer before the main movie Merlin... a taster of what is to come.. a good way to see the dawn in ;)