Sunday, February 18, 2007

Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yeah


Now I would be one of the first to say our roads are overloaded and too busy. After all, I spend half my time driving and it is not a pleasant experience, especially compared to countries like France or Belgium. But is road charging the answer?

It would be simpler if there were decent options. But I spend days trying to work out whether to drive, fly or train it to the more distant parts of our country. The plane may seem the best option at first glance but, even ignoring possible environment damage, when closely examined becomes less attractive. The time spent queuing, getting through passport control, security checks etc soon mean any theoretical benefit is lost. Trains also may seem good on paper, plenty of time to work and do other things. But then consider that trying to get connections is a nightmare because of delays, even in first class people end up standing, the tables do not have enough room for computer and papers, and you are captive to the dubious delights of train food, and suddenly this also becomes less attractive. Cars allow me to control my own time, to carry the bags, digital projector, screen etc that I need to take, and get them to where I want to be. OK, I can't work while travelling but at least I can get from one meeting to the next when I am in a different city.

And let's not forget our families are becoming more and more displaced. To find work peole move further and further afield. Tebbit talked about getting on your bike, but once you are there how do you keep in touch with your family. How do you get grandparents to look after the child, what do you do when someone goes into hospital, how do you support ageing parents?

Who will suffer most from road charging? It won't be the rich, they will pay anyway. To be honest it won't be employees, work will pay for me to do my job whatever. No, the poor will suffer as they become even more tied to a crumbling public service system. And business will suffer as companies are driven to countries which are cheaper to work from.

But don't listen to us Tony. That would break the habit of a lifetime. Instead just tell us we are too feable to think for ourselves. Send us an email to tell us you know better. Thanks Tony.

1 comment:

sally said...

Oooh, that means I am going to get an e-mail from Tony himslef. To me personally.. How exciting...does he think I was born yesterday????