Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bump Up

For the coming year in Chapter (a side degree of freemasonry) I was expecting to be the senior steward. I was quite looking forward to it. Arranging the meals and booking everyone in actually makes a good opportunity to learn who everyone is whcih, for someone like me who isn't all that good fitting names to faces, is very important. But last night I got a phone call asking if I would be willing to be Janitor. Well, it's another step up, and never one to turn down an opportunity I agreed. Tonight was a rehearsal. At the end I was told that I had to give the final toast on the night of the meeting. In some ways that is wonderful. It is a lovely toast, known in the Craft as the Tylers Toast, and I think it very special. I thought it would be a long time until I had an opportunity to give it. So why only wonderful in some ways? Well, the Chapter meeting is tomorrow night so I have less than 24 hours to learn it (which possibly leads to the next question of why am I posting here instead of revising).

No comments: