Monday, February 19, 2007

Butlins


Before I get slated (you know who you are) this is not actually about the minimum wage per se, but an interesting loophole in calculation.


Butlins are being made to repay workers who were charged for utilities when on site. The deductions made took them below the mimimum wage and so were illegal. The reason I find this interesting is because the workers were living on site. Had a similar worker been paid the same amount but been living off site then they would have had to pay for utilities but Butlins would not have been responsible and officially Butlins would still have been paying the correct wage. So, for offering accommodation and discounted utilities Butlins have actually been fined. Seems strange to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

not having a go...but...ah, there's that 'but' word again....if you havfe the time and energy read the full Court of appeal decision http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2007/92.html rather than the media's glorified headlines....dare i say the ruling is a wee bit more complex than the end result. Seems to me the problem was not and is not with the minimum sage legislation but with the employer s somewhat inept and illadvised attempts at contract writing.

Anonymous said...

sorry no mystery 'tis the sad Le*g*al A8d lawyer you know and love being anonymous so as not to create a link to my blog right now...

Merlin said...

When i was in practice people would come in waving pieces of paper claiming to know what was wrong/how to cure their pet because they had found the information on the internet. I used to say "you can also find how to make a rocket but don't blame me if it blows up in your face". The media and the internet only ever show half a story. I know that well enough from things I understand being misreported. I think one of the things I am loving about having a blog is that people in the know are able to comment. Showing the other side of the story is so important.

Merlin said...

However, as a footnote. Sorry, tried reading the link, couldn't understand it and less than half way through gave up. And you use this language for a living! I prefer the Radio 4 version.