Saturday, June 30, 2007

Here We Go

I must be honest, today I should have been in Cheltenham for a meeting sorting out a festival in a month or so. I hope my friends can all forgive me for not going. I have been travelling so much recently that I really didn't have the energy. I hope they have all had a good time (although the BBQ this evening might be a bit wet).



Instead I went to the school fete. They don't just have a fete though. They crown the June queen. At first I wondered how such an americanism managed to make its way into a village school. But when the children started dancing around the Maypole I realised that this probably went back a long way as a tradition. At the end all the school do a dance before the fete opens properly. As "A" had to do the main dance but also another one beforehand, very traditional country dance (surprised not to see any Morris men), I was a very proud dad, she has learnt three dances to do in the last two weeks, at her age I think that is quite impressive (yes, yes, yes, biased I know).

1 comment:

sally said...

I remember Laura at the age of 5 doing exactly the same thing! watching her dance round the maypole on a warm summer's day, in a pretty dress - which was novel for her then! - was lovely and I still rememebr, and probably still haev photos somewhere!

We missed you tho. Zippie just can't make up for your absence...:)