Sunday, June 17, 2007

Initiation


Last Wednesday was a great evening. My first ceremony "in the chair". I think it went very well and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I am taking the fact that we finished almost an hour earlier than normal as indicating I ran a tight and efficient ship (there may be other possibilities but I refuse to consider them).

It was an initiation ceremony and I had quite a lot to learn for it. I can't claim to have been word perfect, I may have embellished a few times and a few of the sentences may have been in a slightly different order than in the book, but we managed to cover all the important bits. The candidate did well, after some initial trepidation (which he can't be blamed for) he soon settled into it and proceeded with firm but humble confidence. And my officers, who have to cope with learning the ceremonies without me, were all extremely good.

The Festive Board afterwards went well. I had asked for the intiate to sit on the top table, which I think is nice as he won't get there again until he is "in the chair". We had just rediscovered our banner (which had been mislaid) so I decided to talk about how banners can be inspirations and rallying points when I had to give a reply to the Toast to the Master. That might sound serious but I have come to learn I am better giving that sort of toast/reply than trying to make it funny. The Toast to the Master itself was given by the Brother who had seconded me into freemasonry and he said some very nice things about me.

Yes, an excellent night.

1 comment:

Chris Ring said...

Well done Bro' a great blog