Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

Although still learning my lines, or at least revising them, for tonights initiation, I made the mistake of picking up this book last week when I was at my parents for the rehearsal. Mistake because, as ever, once I start reading then I don't like to stop. So I may have promised myself a book after the ceremony but ended up reading one before.

I have to say I was disappointed with this book. It has had so many good reviews ("outstanding" from the Mail, "Extremely Funny" from the Telegraph). I did not find it funny and I didn't find it well written. It wasn't funny because the only way that you can find it funny is by laughing at others misfortune. The characters have very sad lives and it takes more shadenfraude than I have within me in order to laugh. The main feeling I get is how wars still have an effect on families 60 years down the line. How the actions of ruthless men can impact on so much that they never even knew would exist. The old father in the book, who is the centre of the plot, acts as he does because of years of oppression by both Russians and Germans. And because that is the reason behind his actions it makes them anything but funny.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

No-one I know has liked this book. And apparently the author doesn't understand why everyone says it's funny because they didn't intend it to be...