Monday, June 18, 2007

A Long Way Away



My uncle was in the Falklands. He was a senior captain in the Royal Fleet Auxillary. So I admit to being biased. He was on the RFA Resource which picked up survivors from the HMS Sheffield. I also have a picture of a bomb exploding just a hundred yards or so from his ship. I was at school and I had a poster with all the navy and RFA ships on my wall (and, if you want to know something spooky, it fell off the wall each time something happened to one of our ships).

I remember trips on this, and other, RFA ships. I remember seeing the stores. Seeing them packed with bombs. Being told if they were ever hit then they would need parachutes not lifejackets. I remember parties, and the fact that the favourite film on board was "The Jungle Book". The stories of war games and hunting for Russian subs.


So I have watched the memorial services etc with interest. And I saw how Maggie was greeted by those who had been in the war. I'm not going to glorify the war, lives were lost, but I bet you don't see Tony being greeted like that in 25 years time by those who were in Iraq.

No comments: