Thursday, June 07, 2007

Watching You


Is it right that Emily Parr should have been kicked out of the Big Brother house? Most seem to think so. I am not so sure. Right from the outset I want to be clear I am not defending her words. I agree they are racist and I do not believe that they should be used.

But Big Brother is a "reality" show. And, if there is one thing it should be able to do it is to challenge us and the way people act together. By kicking her out we are simply trying to brush what we find offensive under the carpet. It isn't tackling the issue, it isn't admiting that racism is a way of life for a lot of people. And it isn't being honest about the society we live in.

They could have done so much more. They could have made this into a debate as a task for the contestants. They could have made them think about what lay behind the words. They couldhave brought an important topic into the forefront of peoples minds. Instead it is hidden away, a skeleton in the closet not to be opened.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

actually having been sad enough to have just watched it i think it was well discussed by her housemates and in teh ongoing tv coverage. but as i've blogged i do think it was wayyyy to convenient to BB's need to regain it's 'credibility'.

Merlin said...

I didn't watch it. I try to avoid most of these "reality" shows (not always successfully, but I try). However I think C4 should be congratulated for being brave enough to air it. But I still think it was wrong to throw her out.