Thursday, November 02, 2006

"Dear Charlie"

Programmes should come with "Emotional level" warnings. Driving back from Norwich I was listening to Radio 4, as I often do. O good I thought, Book of the Week. So this week is a book called "Dear Charlie", hadn't heard it at all this week but I don't mind dropping in to the middle, I can usually pick it up. Well, this book should have come with an emotion warning. I am not given to high emotion generally but we all know that we can be caught unawares. And recently one thing that has managed to catch me almost without fail is stories about fathers losing daughters or vice versa. And this particular story is exceptional, letters written by a father to his 13 year old daughter who was killed by a train. This is a true story by the way. I am not going to be able to listen tomorrow, it is too painful. I am not ashamed to admit I had tears by the end of the episode.
I have put the book on my wish list at Amazon. I feel I should read it, I would like to read it, but the way I felt after today I can't actually bring myself to buy it for myself. Leave it to fate.

No comments: