Sunday, November 05, 2006

Firework Night


It is always good to keep a bit of the child in us no matter how old we are. Fireworks are like that for me. Watching them with other people I may try to make the "oooo"s and "aaahh"s sound sarcastic but every so often I know that one will have sounded completely real. I can't help it, a decent firework with lots of colour and lots of noise will always get my admiration.
Last night we had the Support Team firework party. Thanks completely to Zippie and D, I simply turn up with J and A in tow, bringing some fireworks and wine. And I have to admit that although my fireworks had a 25 metre rating, they were not the best. That accolade goes to the titanium spiders which almost everyone seemed to want to claim credit for but, in the end, I think belonged to Squeak and Handbag. It would be completely wrong to think that my daughter is trying to set light to Handbag because his fireworks were better than ours.
The Support Team is the group Zippie and I manage (in a very loose sense of the word) at Greenbelt. They are a great group to work with and we strive to have a good team morale. Zippie has organised the firework party for the last couple of years and last night we had McVicar, Teflon, Handbag, Squeak, Sweetcorn, Guilty, DooDah there amongst others. As you can tell from the names we aim to be very grown up about everything. Anyway it was a good night to let our hair down, remember stories from this and other years, and generally have a good laugh. Stories range from the difficulty some people have getting in Defenders, through those of us who have eaten stolen goods, include the finding of frogs in coffee cups in lifts, and may also cover people being sent to the Helicopter Field (now rechristened the "Naughty Field"). Well it makes sense to us anyway.

No comments: