Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sport

While I was having a pleasant day in London yesterday, things were not going as well on the pitch.

As we were sitting down to our dinner I received a text from my father saying the Wales vs All Blacks match had been bad (my parents were there). I emailed back asking how bad. "Bloody bad" was the only answer. Yes, 45-10 may well qualify for that description. Wales were apparently "gritty". Gritty just isn't enough. The disagreement over the haka may not have been a good start and, as a spectator, I would not have been happy to have missed what is a fantastic and awe-inspiring thing to see.

So on the train could I gain solace from anywhere? Two people had obviously been to the England match so I asked how that had gone. England 14 South Africa 25. Having been 14-3 up at one point, England then proceeded to throw it away. And this against a weakened South Africa. So much for the great turn around heralded by the previous victory.

And how about the Ashes. After we had won them so well over here, how do we continue to fair down there. Can't tell you. I didn't even dare turn on the radio this morning to find out. It was going so badly that I prefer not to know. We have too many Aussies at work and they are just going to be unbearable come Monday.

No comments: