Saturday, November 25, 2006

HUD

Have you seen the ad showing the BMW with the HUD? I mean, come on, an HUD in a car, wonderful. I saw the ad and my reaction was simply "I want one of those". Possibly my wifes comment was then one of the great indicators of the difference between men and women. There I am saying "wow" and my wife just says "isn't that dangerous." Attempts to explain that an HUD can't be dangerous because fighter pilots use them seem to go unheard. In fact, I believe the look I got could be translated something along the lines of "you ain't no fighter pilot".

The one problem is that this technology comes in a beamer. I just can't have a beamer. I know I will upset a few people but there seems to be an inherent need to forget the Highway Code if you buy a BMW. In fact it wouldn't surprise me to find out that when they take your money then they also make you sign a contract saying that wherever possible you will try to run someone off the road, you will never give way to someone, you will always park so that you occupy two spaces, and not to use your indicators.

BMWs are, of course, known as beamers. Doesn't half cause some confusion at work though. Someone came up to me and asked to borrow my beamer. I hesitated and then explained I have a Mazda 6 (excellent car by the way). The look on his face made it obvious that I had lost him. We looked at each other for a moment, then the light dawned and he said "no, beamer, you know, the data projector".

3 comments:

1 i z said...

And a HUD would be?

Merlin said...

HUD = Head Up Display.
You fell for my test. I thought that query would never come from a man. Further proves my point. {looks nervously over his shoulders expecting a slap any moment}

Merlin said...

Before I get asked, suddenly thought that "Head Up Display" may not actually provide that much information. OK, an HUD is the display of information, such as your speed or direction, which projects on to the windscreen for fighter pilots on to their helmet visor)