Thursday, November 23, 2006

Politics

We live in a world which, even if you don't believe in "evil", you have to admit is a fairly bad place. Wars (no other way to describe them, sorry Tony and George) in Iraq and Afghanistan, religious and racial intolerance widespread, declining education, health service on its knees, increasing debt.

So I am not too happy to hear that a Liberal MP is tabling an early day motion about the noise from mobile phones. Yes they can be annoying, but there are more important things and our taxes are paying these people to discuss their own little pet gripes whilst the world falls apart.

It was like all the fuss about fox hunting. I admit I am a country lad, many of my friends enjoyed fox hunting, but I have never done it myself. I am neither for or against fox hunting. I just think that a lot of time was wasted on producing a bill, which has proved unworkable, just in order that the government can be popular. Real politics is not about being popular, real politics is about doing the right things and making the world a better place. Too many MPs are caught in the limelight.

I think I might have to go out and buy a new ring tone, a really really really annoying ring tone.

No comments: