Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Dress Sense

I want to examine this issue of the niqab in a bit more depth so, as it's my blog, I am bumping the topic back up. If you feel lost with the following then please check this post and comments first. This also means that this will now turn into a long post, something I usually try to avoid.

I have never known anyone who wears the niqab. This is my loss as I haven't had a chance to really find out what someone who wears it feels about the issue. Therefore I admit to talking from a limited and, by definition, blinkered viewpoint.

I do understand that it isn't exactly or strictly a religious requirement, but then neither is wearing a cross but some Christians would feel very affronted if told they couldn't (oh yes, there was one wasn't there!). There are points where religion and culture blend together, and I actually think that is good and right. Simply because it isn't dictated by twenty verses in whatever Holy Book you believe in doesn't mean that the culture doesn't have value.

Is it suppression of gender? I used to think it was. Currently I do not think so. What I do know is that the people who seem to complain most about not being allowed to wear a niqab are women not men. Maybe this is because the women have been persecuted into it. Maybe they have been brainwashed. Or maybe it is because they agree with it. In fact, as I understand it, some women say it is liberating rather than suppressive as it removes the sexual undertones that otherwise interfere with relationships.

I agree that in a western culture we rely heavily on facial expression. I am not sure that a lack of it automatically means a restriction in education. We should make an effort to learn to work with people who want to wear a niqab and adjust our own behaviour accordingly. That means in schools, in work, and at play. The Jack Straw incident demonstrated someone who was completely unwilling to come to terms with what makes someone of another culture feel comfortable and he should have found a way around this rather than abusing his power. It is possible that he actually felt threatened and weakened by the presence of a woman in a niqab, it have increased her control in the situation. The Kirpan is not something that can be equated to the niqab. The Kirpan is something that does present a potential security/safety risk therefore it is right that this cannot be worn in all situations. The niqab is not a risk (and I know that one of the arguments was that schools need to be able to see their students but, let's be honest, if three people come in to the school speaking in deep voices and measuring 6'3" we can take a guess they aren't students can't we).

It seems to me that some Muslim girls wish to wear a niqab. Yes, it is part of their upbringing. Even if you think that it may restrict their learning, in which situation are they going to learn better? One where they wear the niqab or one where they are in a society that they feel doesn't respect their upbringing. I think there are few situations where there will be schools with no men around, especially in the areas we are talking about for these schools.

I acknowledged at the beginning of the first post that this is a complex issue. I still think it is. I suppose one of the reasons I felt sad about this is that I don't believe that the complex issues actually drove the decision. I believe it was a knee jerk reaction to something we don't understand.

3 comments:

1 i z said...

We may not always agree, but your blogs make me think and I like that.

Sarah said...

Hmmm. On my MA course there were a couple of women who chose to cover their hair (though not full niquab) presumably for either religious or cultural reasons. They were intelligent people with an ability to think through issues and stand up for their opinions, so I find the argument that women have always been pushed into it difficult to accept.

However, I spent a number of years trying very hard to believe things I didn't really want to because my faith told me I should.

I do find the idea that women should cover their heads and faces pretty abhorrent - as much because it suggests that men just can't control themselves as for what it says about women's oppression.

Merlin said...

Aw, thanks liz. If someone asked me what I want from my blog it would not be "to make people agree with me" but it would be "to make people think". I am pleased I do that.